The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) makes every effort to provide its readers with well-balanced information and credible resources. Alternative views exist on many complex topics in nephrology. If an author is strongly associated with a particular viewpoint, ASN will make every effort to present other viewpoints on the site, although varying views may not be presented simultaneously.
Users may interact with or download a single copy of any portion of the content for their personal, non-commercial information or use. However, users are prohibited from reproducing, selling, publishing, distributing, modifying, transmitting, displaying, licensing, creating derivative works from, transferring, reposting or otherwise using any portion of content in any other way or for any other purpose without the prior written permission from ASN.
Requests regarding use of the content for any purpose other than personal, non-commercial use should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
ASN staff review most content provided by outside sources for accuracy, balance, completeness, and timeliness before distribution on our sites. Content found to be incorrect or out of date is corrected, updated, moved to an archive (where it remains available), or purged. ASN also publishes opinion pieces and these will be clearly labeled as editorials, commentaries, perspectives, or with other verbiage that appropriate reflects their status.
ASN maintains a clear separation between our independent editorial content and any materials that are advertising or any content that may be influenced by other entities that interact with the society. ASN also has organized its operations to provide for appropriate separation of our education and promotional programs from an editorial perspective; individuals who work on educational matters are not involved with promotional activities.
Links are provided to ASN’s educational content. ASN is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians (https://www.asn-online.org/education/cme/CMEMissionStatement.pdf).
Terms of Service
Use of the Kidney News Website is subject to ASN’s Terms of Service (https://www.asn-online.org/terms/). In addition, users agree not to access, monitor, or copy any content or information from the Kidney News Website using any robot, spider, scraper, or other automated or manual processes for any purpose.
ASN may reference other websites and/or provide links to other resources in science, medicine, and policy. Many of these sites, like their counterparts in print publishing, rely on advertising and sponsorship, including banner advertising, grants, and sponsorship of Continuing Education programs.
- ASN does not intend any links to other websites, logos, or marks of other companies, or any co-branding to constitute an endorsement unless specifically indicated that ASN is making an endorsement.
- ASN requires authors who write for ASN publications to complete a conflict of interest form that requires disclosure of any financial interests and affiliations that may influence, or have the appearance of influencing, the specific content they provide.
The American Society of Nephrology does not offer medical advice. All content in ASN publications, including this website, is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions, or adverse effects. This content should not be used during a medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Please consult your doctor or other qualified health care provider if you have any questions about a medical condition, or before taking any drug, changing your diet, or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment. Do not ignore or delay obtaining professional medical advice because of information accessed through ASN. Call 911 or your doctor for all medical emergencies.
ASN welcomes any comments, questions, or complaints you have about this editorial policy or the website. Please feel free to contact ASN by sending an email to email@example.com
Information Subject to Change
Any information on this site may include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Furthermore, the information may change from time to time without any notice.
The American Society of Nephrology has sole and absolute discretion with regard to interpretation and enforcement of this policy and all other issues associated with advertising on the site. ASN may change this policy at any time in its sole discretion, without notification, by posting a revised policy.
ASN has sole discretion for determining the types of advertising that will be accepted and displayed on its network of websites.
Acceptance of any advertisement should not be considered an endorsement of the product(s) and/or service(s) advertised, or for the company that manufactures, distributes, or promotes the products or services.
ASN will not accept advertising that, in ASN’s opinion, is not factually accurate and in good taste.
ASN will not permit certain categories of advertisements on its network of websites, including, but not limited to:
- illegal or objectionable products
- fraudulent, deceptive, illicit, misleading, or offensive material or unreasonable, unlikely, or extraordinary product or service claims
- material that misrepresents, ridicules, discriminates (real or implied), or attacks an individual or group on the basis of age, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other status deemed inappropriate for ASN
- weapons, firearms, ammunition, or fireworks
- pornography or related adult themes
- tobacco use
- material that directly advertises products to or is intended to attract children
- media or messages for or that reference "M" rated video games or content
- media, messages, or imagery that strobe or flash
- media or messages that contain unsubstantiated "miracle" benefits or cures
- advertising units that extend beyond the defined advertising space or interfere with the content or impact the readability of the content without user initiation
- advertising units that do not retract to the defined advertising space upon user scroll off or contain a "close" or "X" for user to retract or close the ad unit/message after user initiation
- advertising units that mimic computer functions or deceptively indicate a computer or other function that would be reasonable to the average user to assume as a reason to click the unit
Any advertising that could be misconstrued as editorial content will be clearly labeled; ASN recognizes and maintains a distinct separation between advertising and editorial content. All advertising will be clearly and unambiguously identified.
ASN retains the exclusive right to determine how any and all search results for specific information by keyword or topic are displayed. ASN search results are not influenced based on monetary incentives provided by advertisers.
ASN reserves the right to reject, cancel, or remove at any time any advertising from the website for any reason and will provide prompt notice to the advertiser upon rejection, cancellation, or removal of any advertising, together with an explanation following the rejection, cancellation, or removal. ASN also reserves the right to determine the appropriate placement of the advertising on its sites.
It is the Advertiser's responsibility to comply with all applicable domestic and foreign laws, including applicable laws and regulations of regulatory bodies. This includes pharmaceutical advertising to physicians and consumers that must comply with FDA guidelines for Direct to Physician (DTP) and Direct to Consumer (DTC) advertising, as well as underwritten CME programs that must be labeled in accordance with the guidelines of the Accrediting Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and any other relevant accrediting bodies. ASN will not monitor compliance with applicable laws and regulations. However, ASN reserves the right to review all advertising for compliance with applicable laws and regulations and, if ASN becomes aware of any breach or potential breach of any applicable law or regulation or of these guidelines, ASN may remove the advertising.
ASN reserves the right to change these policies or to impose new conditions on use of the Site, from time to time, in which case ASN will post the revision on the site, noting the date policies were updated. By continuing to use the site after posting any such changes, users agree to abide by ASN’s site policies.